Mold is ubiquitous, meaning that it is found everywhere. Whether you are in the Mojave Desert or beautiful Tampa Florida, you are exposed to mold. Of course, the price that we pay by living in a tropical environment is that we have higher humidity and mold levels than many other places in the world. However, that may not be all that bad. Believe or not, mold has tremendous benefit to us every day. Mold is saprophytic, which means that its main purpose on this planet it to breakdown dead, organic materials. Without mold, we would be overrun with dead plants & bodies…ewweee.
Mold is also found in some of our favorite things, such as chocolate, beer, wine, cheese, penicillin, etc. What’s not to love about that. A nice bottle of wine, with a cheese sampler sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon. Unfortunately, mold also has a significant negative side….that side that has adverse health effects. This comes from overexposure to mold, where it is contained in our homes & offices, constantly causing health problems. Buildings are made nearly air tight these days, making it difficult for the property to “breathe”. The result is that elevated mold conditions can be perpetuated in the home with the right conditions, such as high humidity/moisture, low air movement and the warm temperatures. The truth of the matter is that you will never be in a “mold free” environment. As you come in and out of your property, you bring mold with you. The key is to keep mold levels in the property right around or lower than they are outside. You can do this by monitoring your home for elevated moisture conditions and running your AC system at a good temperature to keep the humidity levels in check.