Whether it is from a broken pipe, heavy rains, busted hoses, or even back-flowing toilets, water can cause a lot of damage to your home if it is not dealt with quickly and efficiently. Unfortunate as it may be, water damage can happen to any of us at any time. According to estimates, the Tampa Bay Area alone typically reports above 15,000 water-based losses every year. On any particular day, about 20 homeowners in Hillsborough County return to their homes only to find busted hoses, leaking pipes, back-flowing toilets, and overflowing washing machines,
As a homeowner, there is only a handful of things as stressful as coming home to a water-damaged home. Not only is there the physical damage to contend with, but there is also the emotional rollercoaster of witnessing your most significant investment get ruined along with personal belongings.
What to do when you have water damage
Typically when you come home only to find it flooded, your initial reaction will be panic. However, you must quickly regain your composure since you must take quick and decisive action. Once you are calm, it is time to take action. Here is what to do.
1. Immediately call Lightning Restoration. Lightning Restoration is the number one water damage remediation and restoration company in Hillsborough County. Call us immediately you notice water damage since time is of the essence. The quicker the LR gets there, the more we will be able to save you money and damage content.
2. Shut off the water if possible. Turn off the water flow into your home if possible. If it is a broken pipe, close the valve and if it is a washing machine, unplug it from the wall outlet.
3. Switch off the power. Water and electricity are a dangerous mix. Don’t do anything that will put you or your loved ones in danger. If you are concerned about electrical items in the water, you can shut the power off to the house with your main breaker. To save content, you can slide aluminum foil or saran wrap under the legs of furniture items. You can also use towels to soak up standing water while LR is en route to your home.
4. Rescue any valuable items. If possible, try to move any valuable or sentimental items to a safe, dry place. This step will help mitigate the amount of damage done and give you a sense of control during what can feel like a very chaotic time.
5. Keep the doors and windows closed. Florida is very humid, which may slow the drying process. Therefore, keep the windows and doors closed unless it is unseasonably cool outside, .
6. Lightning Restoration will be there immediately to take care of everything for you and establish a drying system in the house.
Who do you call for water damage?
Once you have taken the necessary steps to protect your home and belongings, it is time to call the professionals. Here is where the challenge comes in who do you call first? A water remediation company or your insurance company? While your initial instinct may be to contact your insurance company first, we highly recommend that you first call a remediation company such as Lightning Restoration.
Insurance companies are interested in one thing, saving money. They will always prioritize their interests which often does not line up with what is best for the homeowner. On the other hand, Lightning Restoration is always on the homeowner’s side. We prioritize the homeowner’s interests even during the insurance claim, ensuring they are fully taken care of during this difficult time.
About Lightning Restoration services
Since its establishment in 2006, Lightning Restoration has risen to become the premier restoration company within the Tampa Bay area. We specialize in fire, mold, & water remediation with proven procedures in cost efficiency and maximizing job time. We are also the most preferred vendor by hundreds of insurance carriers, insurance agents, property owners, and property management companies.
Our remediation and restoration services include:
- 24/7 emergency water extraction
- Moisture mapping and an immediate detailed assessment with an outline of remediation procedures.
- Industrial grade drying equipment, including high-capacity air movers and dehumidifiers.
- Professional assistance with your insurance claims process.
At Lightning Restoration, we understand that this is a stressful and challenging time for you, but rest assured that we are here to help. We guarantee excellent restorative cleaning services with effective, ongoing reporting and communication. Our technicians will arrive on the site within two hours of the initial call and provide a complete estimate, with photos, to the parties involved within 24-48 hours of completing the job.
Note. Throughout the insurance claim process, Lightning Restoration always takes the homeowner’s side to ensure they get the best possible outcome. In case of an emergency flooding in your house, call Lightning Restoration immediately and have someone truly on your side when it comes to your insurance claim.